Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm Back!! and Fire Hazards

Good afternoon, dear readers! :D

I was gone from my blog longer than I expected, but I am back now :).

Several things have contributed to my absence, the most recent being a problem with the wiring in my house.

My home was built in the 1960's, and at a time when copper was a bit more expensive, so the builders decided to make the electrical wiring out of aluminium.

Ugh.

And here is the result, 50 or so years later...


 Oh, nice and toasted.


 Look how gorgeous those yellow melted caps and  that crisped insulation looks!


 White wires?  What white wires?  I think you mean roasted chestnut.


 The rusting also adds a certain je ne sais quoi, don't you think?

Outlet no.2:


 I didn't even notice the browning on the outside, but you can see how it roasted the plug:



The inside of this one was another burnt mess.

Thankfully the third outlet in my room is fine (so far o.o;).

The rest of the outlets in the upstairs part of the house will have to be checked out, but at least the ones in the basement are okay, as they were re-done in copper.

Sigh.

I had to sleep on the couch for two nights because of the burning plastic scent that filled my room.  I wonder how many brain cells I killed just from that alone.

I've also gone down another jump on some of my meds, and that really interferes with my sleep.  My sleeping schedule hadn't recovered yet from my last decrease of medicine, and this has thrown it for a loop all over again.

BUT!  My mind feels much clearer now, and I feel more like myself than I have in a long time.  I am really glad that I made the decision to get off of the drug that was making me feel worse, despite other people thinking that I just needed to increase it, over and over again.  (I realised that it made my symptoms much worse; the ones I was taking the meds for to begin with!  I had to increase the dose over and over again, and in turn I kept getting worse and worse.  I am so glad that I am not wasting more years of my life suffering because of this drug and my bad reaction to it!)

While I am all for trusting your doctor's advice and making sure that you do things safely and with their consent, remember that your body is your own, and YOU are the one that has to live in it. 

I have only one more jump left to get off of the drug completely, which is great because it has taken me almost all year to get down as far as I have. 

During my absence from the blogging world, I actually took almost a full 48 hours away from computers (and no T.V., either).  It was a welcomed break, to be honest.  I spend way too many hours on the computer each day, and that has to change.

I was able to do a lot around my house in this amount of time, and purge a lot of unnecessary things that I had.  I will be dedicating an entire post about that this week, so be sure to stay tuned! :D

I also have been picking up my reading habit again, which I am glad to do.  I love reading!!

Thank you for sticking around, and I hope that you have an awesome night! :D

-Ashesela

15 comments:

  1. I feel like you should come out breaking down a door and yelling "Here's Johnny!"...just for a bit of drama you know! Some flash! *jazz hands*...I'm sorry, it's way late in South Africa at the moment and I should not be typing comments right now!
    Anyhoo! Glad nothing major burned down and that no one got hurt in the electrical meltdown...pardon the pun...also, I'm really psyched for you in regards with going down on your medicine! If you truly feel it is just making you feel worse, then you need to step in and be able to say "I'm taking control now!" and you are which is awesome! Can't wait to hear you tell us down the line how it was one of the best decisions you've ever made! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much for your lovely (and hilarious!) comment!! :D I really appreciate that! :D
      Ahahahahha I think it is awesome that you are typing comments right now! I totally envisioned Jack Nicholson doing the "Here's Johnny!" with jazz hands! XD You sound like you have the same type of humor as me and I like it! >:D

      Delete
  2. Omg!! I am understand wiring problem, if one socket is not working properly I get so irritated and here you have a complete house wiring problem
    I am inviting you to join my $30 certificate giveaway
    http://www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com/2013/11/dressale-30-certificate-giveaway.html?m=0
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you comment, and for the invite :D. Outlets can be so frustrating (and the plugs that go into them too, especially when you step on one by accident!)

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! That's too bad about your outlets, that really sucks! :(

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :D Yeah, our house is frustrating sometimes >:(

      Delete
  4. Welcome back :D Aw I'm glad you're feeling more like yourself! That's always good!
    Eek the wires! That's so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :D Uugh yeah, the scent of burning plastic was horrible!!!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back - and wow, that looks potentially scary....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria :D. It was!!! D: We are so lucky that our walls didn't catch fire!

      Delete
  6. That mess of wires is serious nightmare fuel. Yikes. I like reading too and feel like I should do it more... these days I spend so much time looking at the computer that my eyes feel tired after a while. But there really is nothing like settling into a good novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get caught up on the Internet, and have hours fly by which browsing. It's funny; one of the things I love most about the Internet is the vast amounts of knowledge that are readily available, but then I go and spent hours wasting my time on facebook XD
      Nothing quite compares to reading a good book! :D

      Delete
  7. Thank you for speaking so candidly, dear Ash. I too believe to no end in the importance of listening to your own body. Doctors are very important people, but they're not you, they're not living your pain and symptoms, only you are and you know how best to deal with your health.

    That is flat out scary about your outlets/wiring. Oh no!!! :(

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica!! I really appreciate your words!! I know that you suffer from health problems as well, and I know that you understand how important it is to listen to yourself, and to trust yourself. I wish you the best health possible!! <3
      As for the outlets, I am so glad that they didn't burn my house down!! Especially because the worst one was right beside my bed, so that could have caught fire really easily!! D:

      Delete
  8. Those wires looked like they badly needed replacement. Houses with aluminum wirings are prone to fire, so thankfully, all you had were burnt wires. Did you have the whole electrical system replaced or just the connections in the outlet?

    Reginald Romero

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...