Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lush Blousey Review


Good morning, dear readers!

Today I am writing a review on Lush's most recent shampoo addition: Blousey.


Blousey is meant for dry and damaged hair.  It is also meant for use with colour-treated hair, as it is said to not strip hair dye.

Here is the Lush website description:

OVER-PROCESSED HAIR, REJOICE!

Here is our gentle, non-stripping shampoo for damaged, over-processed, colored, bleached and fragile hair. It cleanses hair in the gentlest way, while locking in moisture with a huge helping of mashed-up fresh bananas, cocoa and cupuacu butters. These rich, nourishing and softening ingredients help bring damaged hair back to life and keep your locks in top shape.
Blousey has a very peculiar scent, which Lush says reminds them of 'big, blousey flowers'.  Blousey (spelled blousy when I looked it up) means 'resembling or characteristic of a blouse', so basically looking like loose folds of fabric.  I don't like the scent of Blousey much while it is in the pot, but once it is on my hair I love it!  It reminds me of a particular gum found in Canada called Thrills, which is known for tasting like soap (it is flavoured with rose water, and that give it a very interesting taste).  Blousey contains rose oil, so I guess that contributes to the scent (although it doesn't smell like traditional rose).

The scent is one of those that people generally love or hate, so I would highly recommend taking a sniff test in the store (preferably asking the sales rep if you can use some on your hands to get a more accurate scent).  I find that the scent lasts most of the day on my hair (which is saying a lot, since most shampoos don't do that with me), so just be aware that if you do not like the scent, that it will stay with you for a while after you wash.


Now onto the good stuff!

I absolutely love this shampoo!  It is now my favourite shampoo to use.  It makes my hair so much softer and more manageable.  I don't even need to use conditioner when I use Blousey, as it moisturizes my hair so much!  I have veeeery dry hair, as it has been bleached at least 3 times and dyed several times.  Because of that I guess I can really notice a difference in my hair when I use it.

I have a lot of hairs on my head, but the follicles are thin, so they tangle all of the time.  Even if I have just combed my hair, if I drag a brush or comb through it right after it will still tangle.  Blousey has reduced the amount of tangling a significant amount, and for that I am so grateful! :D

I find that my red and purple hair dye washes out at the same speed as a regular shampoo, so I cannot attest to the claim that Blousey will not strip hair dye.  I know that of all the hair dyes red has the largest particle size, so that contributes to how fast it rinses out of hair, so maybe black and brown hair dyes will not rinse out as much with this shampoo?

A quarter of each pot of Blousey is banana (yay banana!).  It also has a lot of other interesting ingredients, including:
-clove and star anise decoction
-pimento
-rosemary oil
-cupuacu butter
-thyme oil
-juniper berry oil
-cocoa butter

I will be honest and say that I have read a lot of mixed reviews about this shampoo.  From what I can see most people either love it or hate it.  Thankfully, I am one of the former. :D  Unfortunately, like many of Lush's items, it is rather expensive.  Here in Canada a 240 gram pot costs $25.95.  Ouch!  But, it makes my hair so lovely I will definitely repurchase when I have the extra money for it.

Blousey does not foam up like a regular shampoo.  It can produce foam when you are washing your hair, but only very minimally.  For that reason a lot of people end up using more product than what is needed to clean the hair.  I think it is trial and error, since I constantly worry that I don't have enough shampoo in my hair, only to find that it has cleaned my hair beautifully.  So be careful with that as well (we don't want to waste any of this precious shampoo!).

A lot of people do not like the fact that it comes in a pot, because (especially in the shower) this can allow water to get into the product.  Scooping it out with wet fingers also deposits a small amount of water in the jar, and having such a large opening can mean more chances of spilling the product.  Despite all that I must say that I am a huge fan of Lush's pots, despite possible contamination (of water or bacteria).  It is just a preference of mine, and I know that a lot of people do not share it.  Other than bringing back 5 pots to get a free fresh face mask, I find that if I decide to keep them, they make the most handy containers for a variety of things! :D

Another thing to note is that you need to rinse your hair very well, as there are the typical brown bits from bananas in this, so you want to make sure that you get them all out (unless you don't care, and that's cool).


All in all I give this shampoo a very enthusiastic thumbs up, and I will definitely repurchase this.  If you are curious about this product, I recommend heading over to your nearest Lush store and getting a sample.

(Also: Blousey is vegan, and like all Lush products, animal cruelty-free!)

Have you used Blousey before?  Would you ever consider giving it a try?

Have a lovely day!!

-Ashesela

10 comments:

  1. Interesting review! I have always wondered about their shampoos but haven't been brave enough to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ A Girl and Her Polish: Thank you! :D I have also used a couple of their solid shampoos (Godiva and Seanik) which I really like, but they aren't nearly as moisturizing as this one. They also contain a lot of SLS, which I don't mind as I love a good lather, but I think that contributes to the dryness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried any hair products from Lush but this review was nice to see! Awesome to hear it worked so well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try this one! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Lisa N: Thank you so much!! :D I really like it!! :D

    @ OPI Addict: It really is!! I hope you like it as much as I do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Though my mother can't stand the taste, my step-dad and I both huge Thrills gum fans, so I bet this shampoo would appeal to both of us.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I think I'd be interested in trying this out...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Jessica Cangiano: It is a really yummy tasting gum!! :D

    @ drinkcitra: I hope you like it too! :D!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ ScarsLikeLace: I really like it! It makes my hair so much more manageable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...