Thursday, December 22, 2011

Protect IP Act

Hello again, dear readers!


Usually I would like to keep a lot of posts on my blog to art related subjects, but this has come to my attention that I think everyone who uses the Internet should take a look at: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDX8Lyl16Qs&feature=share


This video is a response to the Protect IP Act, and I think it explains very well what could happen if such an act were to be passed.  Here is a link to a great Wikipedia article about the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act#Opponents


Now the Protect IP Act is "a proposed law with the stated goal of giving the US government and copyright holders additional tools to curb access to "rogue websites dedicated to infringing or counterfeit goods", especially those registered outside the U.S" - Wikipedia.


I believe that this act will inhibit freedom of speech and expression.  I also believe that this act will impact all of us, from the sites we visit to the freedom to post our own opinions.


I made a Tron-themed manicure, and I think it is ridiculous that the entertainment industry could have the right to shut down my blog because of that, if Protect-IP is passed.  Shutting down YouTube videos because there is a barely audible music track in the background?  Come on!!  That is ridiculous!


I really suggest looking at the video link I posted, as it describes Protect-IP better than I ever could.


Here is a link to a petition to oppose Protect-IP:


https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/veto-sopa-bill-and-any-other-future-bills-threaten-diminish-free-flow-information/g3W1BscR

Protect-IP will affect those who use the internet around the world!  This isn't just a problem that would affect only the United States of America.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post.

-Ashesela





6 comments:

  1. my sister had shown me the video before, and it's just unbelievable! our freedom leash is getting shorter and shorter all the time:{

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Beanie: I know!! This is ridiculous! It was my sister who had first shown me this and brought it to my attention as well. I can't believe they think they can get away with this; we can't let them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this! i've already signed the petition and hope this doesn't pass

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Parisa: Thank you so much for singing it!! It would be so horrible if it did pass! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm digging the nail polish swatch in the previous post!Have a merry Christmas! hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! I am also hosting a giveaway [$40 credit to an esty shop].xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Nina Gonzalez: Thank you! I hope you have a merry Christmas too! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...