Lush Salt and Peppermint Bark Review

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Good evening, dear readers!

Today I have another Christmas Lush product review (which was kindly sent to me).  This is of the Salt and Peppermint Bark shower scrub.


According to Lush.ca:

"Star-spangled scrubbing
Bark's now here, the angels sing! Sea salt will give soft, scrubbed skin. In tempting bark you should confide. Peppermint oil is packed inside! This take on a traditional American treat is packed full of fair trade organic cocoa and cupuaçu butter to deliver star-spangled softening and scrubbing to your skin! It's made to soften with a delicious scent."

This smells REALLY GOOD!!!  I like mint, but this... this smells delicious!  It smells like minty candy.

It retails at $9.95 Can. for 130 g..

Here are the ingredients:

Fine Sea Salt , Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma Cacao) , Sodium Bicarbonate , Cupuacu Butter (Theobroma Grandiflorum) , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Cream of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate) , Fragrance , Lauryl Betaine , Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita) , Rosie Red Lustre (Potassium Aluminum Silicate, Titanium Dioxide, Red 7) , Apple Green Lustre (Yellow 5, Blue 1) . *Occurs naturally in essential oils



I don't use scrubs often for several reasons (not liking the fact that scrubs can cause micro-tears in the skin*, having sensitive skin, they can hurt, etc..) but I was really glad to try this one!

Despite containing cocoa and cupuacu butters, this doesn't leave a lot of film on the skin after use.  It seems almost water soluble, and that really surprised me considering the ingredients.  I'm used to more of a oily skin feel after using things like Lush's Buffy bar (a solid body butter scrub bar) and their King of Skin (a solid body butter bar).

I've used Sugar Scrub before and that left more oils on the skin as well.  I think Salt and Peppermint Bark could be a decent option for those who hate the feeling of products sitting on the skin but still want something softening.

This gives a cooling sensation on the skin while using it, and it feels that way a bit after use as well.

This scented my skin for a little while after use and I was happy about that, as it has an uplifting and delicious mint candy scent and I really like it.

I would suggest not holding this under running water as it will start disintegrating. (On that note I'd also like to suggest storing it after use in a way that lets air get to it, as if it is stored with a puddle under it the bottom of the product will start dissolving.  If you want to keep it in a Lush tin, flipping it after one side is dry would probably help a lot and or storing it so it is leaning against the side of the tin in a / way could help, along with keeping the lid off.)


The second time I used this on my arms I had weird red bumps but I don't know if they were caused by my scrubbing roughly, from being irritated, or from another product I used.  I didn't notice the bumps the first time I used it, but I also had a warm bath the second time and scrubbed the scrub harder on my skin so that could have maybe caused the bumps.  I had also used a mask on my arms earlier which also could have been the cause of the bumps, or maybe it was just a combination of several things.  I wanted to mention it just in case.  I read a review I think on Lush.ca or .com where someone said that they used this on their keratosis pilaris and it ended up causing a burning feeling, so if you have sensitive skin and try this out, I would suggest giving it a patch test instead of slathering it all over the arms/legs right away.

I did scrub a lot harder with it on my arms the second or third time using it to the point of it hurting, so I would suggest maybe being a bit less aggressive with it if you have sensitive skin (which I do... whoops!).  Also I find with products like this, the first impression of how scrubby it is may not be the same after multiple uses, as in this case there was more coarse salt the further the bar wore down and it got scrubbier.

I really do like this product, and I am so glad that I got the chance to try it out.  I want more of these! It would be great if they made this a more permanent addition to their stores.

Are you a fan of Lush scrubs?

Have a lovely night!

-Ash

*I feel the need to tell people of that scrubs can cause micro tears in the skin, it's a obsessive compulsion of mine when I write about them in blog posts

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Great review! Does mentioning the micro tears have to do with your derma? How has it been by the way? I remember it's better for you in the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for asking! :D It was actually for OCD reasons, when I learned that that can happen with scrubs I was like I HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE JUST IN CASE!! Hahah. The derma has been much better in the past year thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! :D