Lush Cup O' Coffee Face and Body Scrub

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Good morning, dear readers! :D

Today I have a review of Lush's Cup O' Coffee Face and Body Scrub.  This scrub was very kindly sent to me for review.



When Lush announced their massive Oxford Street store a while ago, many fans were super excited!  The only problem: it's in the UK.  So while they brought out a LOT of new products (I think a couple hundred??) most were only available at that one location.  Cup O' Coffee was one of those products, but it has since found its way into other locations, including North America.  From what I heard, more products will be making their way over, but slowly.




This mask doesn't require refrigeration, and so you can order it online as well as purchase it in-store.



Here is Lush's description:

"Wakes up tired complexions
If you're a sucker for the strong, dark, stimulating type, this coffee-filled mask is just the things to kick-start your day.  Wake up and invigorate the skin and mind with the rich, intoxicating aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sweet roasted cocoa extract.  Kaolin deeply cleanses impurities from the pores and ground coffee acts as a gentle scrub to buff away dryness and reveal the glowing skin beneath.  Smooth this one all over your body to feel soft, clean and wonderfully fragrant." - Lush.ca

This mask/scrub combo retails for $10.95 for 150g, and $19.95 for 325 g.

The mask has a thick, sticky formula and it scoops out and applies pretty easily.  The stickiness and thickness aid in keeping this mask onto the skin, where some other masks could drip off more easily.



Here is the ingredient list:
Coffee Infusion (Coffea Arabica), Water (Aqua), Talc, Kaolin, Agave Syrup (Agave Tequilana Leaf Extract), Glycerine, Fragrance, Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoidese), Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla Planifolia), Roasted Cocoa Extract (Theobroma Cacao), Coriander Seed Oil (Coriandrum sativum), Bentone (Hectorite), Caffeine Powder (Caffeine), *Coumarin, *Limonene, *Linalool.  *Occurs naturally in essential oils

For my face, I left the mask on for 5-10 minutes as instructed. I then exfoliated gently by wetting my fingers to moisten the mask more (this type of mask never dries in the time you have it on, so I made it more runny and workable) and rubbing slowly.  Rinsing it off took a bit of work because of all the coffee grounds, but it wasn't too bad (using a damp cloth would help too!).


(Please forgive the really puffy eyelids; I had a pretty terrible evening yesterday.  Also ignore the nose hairs that I just pointed out that are badly in need of a trim.)

Afterwards my skin felt softer and slightly fragranced.  The mask helped boost circulation and while there were a couple dry skin flakes afterwards that I didn't notice before and my skin was a teeeeeensy bit dry, it was loads better than other masks I've used that are deep cleansing.

Usually they dry the crap out of my skin and make it feel very tight, yet this did not.  While my skin was a bit drier after using it, it wasn't a significant amount.  There was absolutely no oiliness on my skin, and while I did wash my face before which would have removed oil, the feeling of my skin makes me think that it actually did some deeper oil removal than just the surface.

I then used this on my body and while I couldn't scrub as much as I would have liked (really scrubby scrubs can be a bit tough on my hands because I'm constantly scrubbing the same part over and over again) it did soften and didn't dry out my skin.  For a little while, the scubbing actually ended up numbing the skin on my palms and fingers a little bit.

Unfortunately it turned out that I actually didn't like the fragrance of Cup O' Coffee, although I was pretty sure I would.  You definitely smell coffee (and I love the smell of coffee!) and there is cocoa in there, but there is something else... some other ingredient that just doesn't quite agree with me.  I'm wondering if it is the coriander, as there are a few herbs that I can't tolerate as well.

After bathing I looked at my facial skin in the mirror again, and it turned out that the mask actually ended up irritating it a bit.  My skin has been a bit off lately with red bumps, and I probably shouldn't have used a scrub at this moment in time (as scrubs with grinded shells, beans, and stuff like that can cause micro-tears in the skin and while not everyone is concerned about it, I do have pretty sensitive and easily irritated skin and actually usually avoid really scrubby scrubs.  I know that might sound scary to some people, but it makes sense; anything that is sharp that you rub on your skin can do that, whether it is a grinded bean, shell, or a pumice stone).  However, the thickness of the mask does help to protect the skin from intense scrubbing, as it kind of "cushions" it and makes it feel less abrasive.  So if you are concerned about that, I would suggest gently rubbing it (not roughly!) while there is a lot of mask on your face, vs. rinsing most of it away and using just the coffee grinds.

While taking into consideration what I wrote if you have sensitive skin, don't let that put you off trying this because what does or doesn't work for me may work completely different on you.  If you are curious and want to give this a try but might be concerned about your own skin sensitivity, just pop into a Lush store and I bet they would be more than willing to give you a sample! :D

You're probably wondering then if someone like me has these skin problems, then why try out a super scrubby scrub mask?  Well, I adore Lush and had the opportunity to try this so I wanted to give it a go.  While it may not have worked for me as well as I hoped, everyone has different skin and you never know for sure how you will react until you try something (well, unless you had an allergy, then that's completely different!!).  Plus, I don't HAVE to scrub intensely when using this mask; it's perfectly acceptable to use it more of a mask than a scrub, and rinse it off without excess rubbing.

All in all the mask does remove excess oil, it doesn't dry out skin very much at all in the process like most clay masks will, it definitely scrubs and it will leave your skin fragranced for a decent while afterwards (which is a big bonus to those who love the scent!).  It does feel cool and refreshing on the face while it is on and that helps you relax yet can gently help wake you up in the morning.  While the fragrance may not be for me, others really like it and I can see it appealing to many people (and have seen other reviews where the reviewer loves the scent!).

I'm extremely thankful that I got to try out this product and I'm realllly looking forward to getting my hands on Rosy Cheeks next time I get to Lush.

I hope that you have a wonderful day! :D

-Ash

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Great review on this scrub! Haven't tried much from Lush but I've always heard great things about some of their skincare things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great product to get rid of dark eye circles cos of the caffeine? Such a pity that it didn't work out for you!

    Celly

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fun to use, too bad it didn't work out too well with your skin :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D