The Face Shop Sseal Escargot 24K Gold Cream Review

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Good afternoon, dear readers!! :D

Today I have a slightly more unusual review for you: The Face Shop's Sseal Escargot 24K Gold Cream.  (Whew, that was a mouthful!)




Last year around Christmas The Face Shop was having a really great sale, so my sister and I picked this up while we were there.  It was actually my sisters Christmas gift to me, as I really wanted to try it, and it was bloody expensive.  Not as expensive as so many other products that are available these days (La Prairie Cellular Cream Platinum for $1000+?  Nuuuupe!), but still pricey enough with a hefty around $100-ish price tag for 50 ml. (I am seeing it listed online for cheaper now, but I don't know if those are legit.  Anyway, it was that expensive in store.)  Thankfully they were having a half-off sale, so it wasn't as bad.

I'd heard things about snail cream for facial care, and I love trying all sorts of things to get my skin in better condition.  So, naturally, I really wanted to test it out (yay snail goo!).



This cream consists of 60% filtered snail mucous, and then there are the 24K gold flakes. Fancyyyyyy!  (I admit, I like feeling fancy!)

Along with the jar, you get a small plastic scoop, which is great in that you don't have to scoop the product out with dirty fingers and contaminate it.  However, I lost mine.  >.>



The cream (although I'd call it more of a smooth gel, than anything) has a lovely fragrance!  I know that a lot of people aren't fond of fragrance in skin care, and I don't blame them.  It really is an unnecessary additive that can cause skin irritation.  I do like a good fragrance though *shifty-eyes*.

The gel-like texture has visible gold flakes in it, that disappear into your skin when you rub the cream on.  They are preeeetty!

 (I tried to zoom into a photo to show the flakes more, but it's kinda blurry)



INGREDIENTS: SNAIL SECTRETION FILTRATE*GLYCERIN*WATER*CYCLOPENTASILOXANE*DIMETHICONE*DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL*BETAINE*PROPYLENE GYLCOL*SORBITOL*CYCLOHEXASILOXANE*BUTYLENE GLYCOL*PANTHENOL*SODIUM HYALURONATE*GOLD*SPIRAEA ULMARIA EXTRACT*THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) EXTRACT*AMMONIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYLTAURATE/VP COPOLYMER*CITRUS PARADISI (GRAPEFRUIT) EXTRACT*HYDROGENATED LECITHIN*CAPRYLYL GLYCOL*POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE*LAURYL DIMETHICONE/POLYGLYCERINE-3 CROSSPOLYMER*ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER*STEAROXYMETHICONE/DIMETHICONE COPOLYMER*XANTHAN GUM*POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE*DISODIUM EDTA*FRAGRANCE

From what I could gather with research:

Snail secretion filtrate = filtered escargot mucus
Glycerine = hygroscopic (attracts water molecules from surroundings) simple sugar alcohol compound, used to improve smoothness, provide lubrication and is a humectant
Water = aqua!
Cyclopentasiloxane = slip agent, emollient
Dimethicone = silicon oil (polymerized siloxane), silicone based polymer, emollient, slip agent
Dipropylene glycol = fragrance carrier, viscosity decreasing agent, solvent
Betaine = an amino acid which functions as a humectant and anti-irritant
Propylene glycol = slip agent, humectant
Sorbitol = sugar alcohol (while obtained from fruits, most comes from corn syrup), humectant, thickener
Cyclohexasiloxane = silicon based polymer, emollient, solvent, skin-conditioning agent
Butylene glycol = organic alcohol, humectant, skin-conditioning, solvent
Panthenol = alcohol form of vitamin B5, moisturizer, lubricator
Sodium hyaluronate = sodium salt of hyaluronic acid, humectant, skin-conditioning
Gold = gold
Spiraea ulmaria extract = meadowsweet extract, skin-conditioning agent
Theobroma cacao extract = cocoa extract, skin-conditioner
Ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate = emulsion stabilizer
Citrus paradisi extract = grapefruit extract, skin-conditioning
Hydrogenated lecithin = surfactant - emulsifying agent, skin-conditioning, suspending agent
Caprylyl gylcol = skin conditioning, emollient, humectant
Polymethylsilsesquioxane = opacifying agent
Lauryl dimethicone/polyglycerine-3 crosspolymer = surfactant, emulsifying agent, solubilizing agent, viscosity increasing agent, skin-conditioning
Acrylates/c10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer = emulsion stabilizer, viscosity increasing agent, film forming
Stearoxymethicone/dimethicone copolymer = viscosity increasing agent, emollient, skin-conditioning
Xanthan gum = sugar based polymer produced by bacteria, emulsion stabilizer, binder, skin-conditioning agent, surfactant, viscosity increasing agent, gel forming
Potassium hydroxide = caustic inorganic base, pH adjuster
Disodium EDTA = viscosity controlling
Fragrance = mystery smells!

It sounds like this would be pretty moisturizing!  However, on me, it isn't.  :/  It doesn't dry me out, but it doesn't really do much in the way of adding moisture into my skin either.  There is a film on the skin right after application, but within the hour it is pretty much absorbed.  And while my skin is a little softer to the touch, it doesn't feel super supple.

After application it adds a slight sheen to the skin making it look more moisturized:



I don't feel that it is drawing much water into my skin.  I find that when I am using the cream, my skin gets a tiny bit flushed on the apples of my cheeks, almost as if I applied a bit of blush.  (It doesn't show up in flash photos well but in my bathroom mirror it is much more obvious.)  Maybe that's the 'radiant' I get with this? XD

I also don't find that it plumps my skin up much, and my fine lines look pretty much the same before and after application.  It really doesn't say that it is an anti-ager, but creams that really moisturize your skin do tend to make them look younger.

Continual use of this product (more than one day) causes my skin to start breaking out in those tiny pimples, so I can't say how well this helps the skin in the long term. :(

Overall I'm very glad I got to try this, and if I use it only one day at a time and not several in a row I am fine, but I don't find that it provides the benefits necessary to justify the price tag.  While it is certainly possible that I could get much better results with continued use, my skin won't allow me to do that.  Also, the regular moisturizer I use provides results even after one application!

Have you tried any snail creams before?  What are your thoughts?

Take care and have a wonderful day!

-Ash


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Nice review on this cream. It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa! :D I wish that my skin didn't freak out as easily so I could try it for more consecutive days. :(

      Delete
  2. Could it be too rich for you thats why you're breaking out? Use it at night only and see if its better sweetie! I think this sounds like an interesting product haha, I've got a snail cream somewhere to use too >.< I can't wait to use it now that I've seen it makes your skin look rosy hehe

    xoxo celly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be! Sadly my skin reacts like that to almost everything that I use :'(. I usually did use it at night and it made no difference, sadly :(. I hope that your cream works well for you! :D I wish the Sseal was more moisturizing *sniffle*

      Delete
  3. snail mucous? That sounds gross :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahha XD I had to try it as it sounded like a really weird treatment!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! :D