A Day in Ottawa

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Good morning, dear readers!

Yesterday I went into Ottawa with my sister and father.  My sister and I had planned on going to a few stores downtown for about a week or so, and my father kindly offered to drive us (thank you so much dad, I know how much of a pain in the butt it is!!).

With anxiety, doing everyday things can be a lot tougher.  The night/morning before I couldn't sleep because a mix of anxiety and excitement (I don't get out as much XD I also have trouble sleeping the night before Christmas, and my birthday.  I can get REALLY excited about things!).

First off, we went to Sushi Kanata, and got their all you can eat lunch.  Every single time I've eaten there, their food has been excellent.  Yesterday was no exception.

I had the tempura shrimp and sweet potato, some crunchy spicy salmon rolls that were melt-in-your-mouth fresh, and some sesame dessert ball-things.  OH!  I just realised that I still have a fortune cookie in my purse! :D SCORE! (Edit: not anymore, I just ate it.)

After that we went to Bubblicity tea shop on Somerset, which is now named Dumpling Bowl (they started serving dumplings too after more competition for bubble tea popped up).  I got the taro sherbet and my sister got the mango slush.







I don't know who the artist is, but they have a bunch of paintings from someone that I really like.  I remember these from when I lived in Ottawa, and they brought back nice memories :D.  I especially like this one :


They changed their decor after the company makeover, and the interior is as lovely and calming as ever.

From there we went to World of Tea, an amazing tea shop on Bank St. with a wide selection and a very beautiful store.  The lady who was working there was the absolute sweetest!!  I believe she is one of the two owners.  She was incredibly helpful, obviously passionate about teas, and very knowledgeable.  She is such a lovely person!

I came in particularly for their matcha, as I've been wanting to get matcha for a loooong long time (and it's finally available in Ottawa!!).  They carry 5 different kinds: organic, culinary grade, chiyomukashi, hatsumukashi, and kyomukashi.

Sadly they were waiting on a shipment from Kyoto, and what they had left over was sold that very morning before I got there.  The lady felt really bad about it, but I should have called ahead before arriving there, and it wasn't her fault.  She offered me a 5% discount on matcha for when I come back (which is saying a lot, as it doesn't really go on sale).

I picked up a few more teas while I was there: a houjicha karigane and genmaicha for myself, and a flowering tea for my sister.





I picked up some matcha essentials while I was there:

A chasen:



And a really lovely chawan, which was surprisingly budget friendly:



I would have loved to go back there right after they get their shipment in, but it is downtown and I don't drive, I live outside of the city, and the busses where I am are pretty terrible.  Aside from that, it is very hard for me to go places that far often due to my anxiety disorders (especially if I have to go by myself).  I really hope that in the next few months I can manage to get back down there, as I would love to give them more business.  If you love teas and are in the area, I highly recommend it!! :D

As I really wanted to try some matcha, I ended up picking up some from David's Tea in the Rideau Center.  I would have preferred trying the ones that World of Tea offered, but as it will probably be months before I can go downtown again, I settled on the ceremonial matcha at David's.  They offer three different kinds (not including the ones infused with other flavours, like the vanilla matcha): grand cru matcha, matcha matsu, and ceremonial matcha.  There was a definite visual difference between the grades, and I went with the brightest and most vivid one they had.



I was originally a bit leery of trying it, as David's Tea is chain store, and I wondered at the quality of this as a lot of places are hopping onto the matcha train (with widely varying qualities in the matcha they offer).  However, so far I am really impressed!  David's Tea sources their matcha from Nishio, and while I haven't tasted it yet (and I am in no way at all a matcha connoisseur!), the colour and fragrance are absolutely enthralling.  It's hard for me to describe the scent of green tea, as I find it is the only thing I've smelled that has that exact fragrance.  But this is an intense, creamy, beautiful green tea, and I am looking forward to tasting it.



I do wish that they had smaller cannisters, so there would be less air getting at it.  Oh well, what can you do?

Here you can see the difference in quality between David's Ceremonial Matcha and a powdered green tea bought years ago:


(Please excuse the bit of lower-quality tea that got onto the matcha on the right.)

The David's Tea matcha is beautiful!!

After that, we popped into Lush (which was very conveniently beside the David's Tea!), and I picked up a few things for my sister, my friend, and I.


I picked up several things that I never reviewed before, so I'm looking forward to that.

All in all we were out for about 5 hours, and I am so happy that the three of us could spend the day together and go to all those places (and eat all that delicious food!).  I'm also very happy that I was able to sell three paintings earlier this month that allowed me to have money to go out today.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and thank you for stopping by my blog! :D

-Ashley


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Make matcha ice cream! =P I love matcha too! And and and, where're the sushis~~ I was looking out but I guess you ate them all before you snapped them haha

    celly | asian beauty and makeup blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE matcha ice cream!! :D Yeah, I was thinking of taking photos when we got the food, but then I just ate it instead! XD

      Delete
  2. Looked like a fun time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time! I love going into Ottawa and hitting all the cool little shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!! :D I wish I could get down there more often! Wow, it's so rare for me to see someone visit my blog who lives in the area! :D

      Delete
  4. yay for the bubble tea!!! Love bubble tea lol! Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bubble tea too! That was the first time I had it in at least a year! D:
      Thank you very much!! :D

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I LOVE tea and I drink it all the time. I have been drinking matcha from Encha.Life and I like it a lot. You might want to try it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestion!! Tea is just so wonderful! :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! :D