Sunday, July 28, 2013

Vintage Magazines

Good morning, dear readers! :D

I haven't been posting much on here lately, in part because I have been doing a lot more things away from the computer.  The other day my family and I went to a couple of parks, which was nice :).

I also went to an antique shop (well, it is technically a giant red barn, lol!), and picked up some vintage magazines.  My sister had been there before and had seen them, and suggested that I give them a look (I love stuff like that! :D).

There were several stacks of Life magazine, mostly from the 1960's -1980's.  I must say that I have never been a huge fan of that span of time (fashions especially! XD), but I was excited to see some great magazines about the early Apollo programs and the Russians in space.  Although I have not picked those issues up, I would like to in the near future.

When I got to the lower half of the last pile of magazines, I found some awesome issues from the 1930's and 1940's!!! :D  I was so excited!  I absolutely adore that period in time (fashion, culture, etc.) and I had to pick up 4 issues.  The earliest one I picked up was from 1939, and the latest from 1941-1942 (if I am not mistaken).  That was such a hugely important period in time, with World War 2 going on, and so many changes being made in society.  The bans and restrictions on materials and foods, the increased effort for everyone to do their part and support their country, the sense of national pride and being part of a huge family of people with the same goals...  I find that fascinating!

The bad thing was that after I left the store, I realised that the magazines had an extremely strong musty/mildew smell.  Poo!  So, I am trying several methods to remove the smell, preserve these vintage magazines, and to prevent contamination with my other books.  Thankfully there appears to be no mold damage on either the cover or interior pages on any of the magazines, just a horrible smell.  Actually, the pages are incredibly well preserved!  So I believe there is hope yet. :D

I can't wait to start taking photos of the articles and posting them up on here for anyone to read (yay no copyrights because they are more than 50 years old! XD).

So in the near future there will be quite a few vintage themed posts :).

If I can effectively rid the magazines of the mildewyness, I want to go back to the barn and get those space race magazines!

Have a wonderful day, my friends!

-Ashesela

EDIT: Nooooo!!!  Upon closer inspection today, they are moldy!! :'(  I had to dispose of them, as I will not be able to remove the mold, and I do not want to infect any of my book collection.  Sigh!

EDIT 2: Woooo my sister helped me take some photos!!! :D  Thank you so much sister <3 p="">

EDIT 3: I thought they were Time magazines (I don't know why lol) but they are in fact Life magazines)

6 comments:

  1. Can we just talk about how awful the Russians are being right now, committing genoside on their LGBTQ >_> and nobody is covering it? Ugh. Russia.

    I think you should show us pictures once you get your magazines under control =3 I can't wait to see what you're inspired to do! Good luck with that smell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sharra Farivar: It makes me incredibly sad that there is so much hate in this world. Especially for something like this!! >:( I don't even know what exactly to say about it, because it is so horrible. Love is love, and there shouldn't be such ignorance about it.

    I hope that I can get the magazines under control XD Thank you for the lovely comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice finds! I love looking in antique shops :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool finds! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ drinkcitra: Thank you very much!! :D

    @ Meredith Anne: :D Thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that you vintage magazines were plagued by mold. I hope the seller wasn't aware of that fact and selling them all the same. It's great though that you and your sister were able to help them life on by taking some photos.

    Vintage magazine collecting is so addictive! It's probably a good thing (for the sake of my wallet and lack of free bookshelf space at the moment) that they're getting harder and harder to come by around these parts! I love them so much though, and do usually buy any reasonably priced ones (from the 30s-50s) geared towards fashion and/or homemaking that I come across.

    I really hope you have better luck with any and all other vintage mags that you buy.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...