Monday, July 29, 2013

Kellogg's Rice Crispies Ad - circa 1939


Good morning, dear readers!

Today is my first vintage magazine post (yay! :D).  This ad is from the October  23rd 1939 Life magazine.

I decided to make this my first vintage post because while flipping through the magazine, I realised that the Snap, Crackle and Pop of old were incredibly creepy!! >:O

Here is the advertisement:


Transcript of main description:

     Is there mutiny afoot?  Dish up Kellogg's Rice Krispies and the most determined breakfast rebel will see the error of his ways!
     Children--grown-ups--everyone goes for this really different cereal.  It has such a unique, full-bodied flavor...and the knack of holding its marvelous crispiness from the first delicious spoonful to the last.
     Yes, Rice Krispies look different--taste different--even sound different.  You'll hear them snap! crackle! pop! in milk or cream, to prove their crispiness.  And they're made by a wholly different process patented by Kellogg: they're "oven-popped" and then toasted a luscious, golden brown.  
     Only premium quality, American-grown "Blue Rose" rice goes into Rice Krispies.  They come to you with their crisp freshness protected by Kellogg's new and exclusive inner-wrap, which is completely "Waxtite" heat-sealed at both top and bottom.  For a real breakfast treat--choose Kellogg's Rice Krispies at your grocer's now!

Transcript of yellow box on lower right:

"OVEN-POPPED" BY KELLOGG'S PATENTED PROCESS!

Rice Krispies are absolutely unique in form.  They'll float for hours in milk or cream.  Product and process are protected by United States Letters PATENT NOS. 1,925,267: 1,832,813.

And upon closer inspection:


Eeuugh!  They are like creepy mice pinnochio clown things!  I know that this type of art was more common back in the day (I'm sorry Vernon Grant, it just isn't my thing!), but it goes to show how illustration continues to evolve to this day.

One of the things I absolutely love about vintage ads, is that it really shows the differences in what was the norm for society in the past, versus today.  For instance, when mentioning eating the cereal, they say how well it works in milk and cream.  I do not know anyone who eats cereal with cream (so rich, so many calories, and so much fat!) but I think it is interesting that it was a commonplace thing back in the 1930's.

Also, the ad features the patent for the cereal, which is something you definitely do not see on cereal advertisements today.

I also found it interesting that one of the selling points mentioned for this cereal is that it will float for hours.  Why would you want to keep your cereal in milk or cream for hours, floating or not?  It would probably swell to 5 times its size, and it would be extremely mushy. XD

I do like how this ad shows new inventions, like the sealed "Waxtite" bag and that cereal floats (I guess most cereal before ended up sinking to the bottom of the bowl?).

I hope you enjoyed the first of many vintage posts to come on my blog. :D

Have a wonderful day!

-Ashesela

9 comments:

  1. this is such a cool post, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ LittleMonsterx14: Thank you so much!!! :D I am really glad that you like it! :D

    @ Meredith Anne: Thank you very much, Meredith!! :D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely enjoyed it (natch! :)), and adore that you're planning to devote lots more future posts to vintage topics. Can't wait to read them!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol it will float for hours...um no thanks. This post is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jessica Cangiano: Thank you so much!! :D I must admit that I thought of you when I got those magazines! XD

    @ Jenna Froggy: Thank you so much!! :D Hahahha seriously! Ew, gross smushy cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did u notice that ruffian mani on the hand as well as the nails shape...I guess old fashion keep coming back---I like your post always something interesting---keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha this is awesome! I love seeing vintage ads! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is so cool! I love vintage ads! haha I'm actually considering keeping a cereal box and seeing if cereal changes in 30+ years..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...