Do It Yourself Blogs

Wednesday, July 24, 2013


Good evening, dear readers!

Lately I've been bitten by the do it yourself bug, mainly for cosmetics.

(Huge pros of DIY: it can be crazy cheap, it is fun to experiment, and you get to put what you want in cosmetics and leave out what you don't want.  I like knowing that what I am using isn't harmful, and that it hasn't been tested on animals.)

I have been watching a really excellent show on YouTube, called Victorian Pharmacy.  I believe there are 5 episodes on there (I am on number 4, I think).  (Edit: there are only 4 episodes :( sad face!)

This show (more like a documentary) is about three people who open up their own Victorian apothecary, using only Victorian recipes, instruments, and ingredients.  It shows you what was in common use back in that time, what helpful products they made and used, along with what not-so-healthy products (the antimony everlasting pill and double cyanide bandages, anyone?).

I find this fascinating!! :D  I've always been interested in beauty routines and products from the past (all the way back to what the ancient Egyptians, Romans and Greeks used).  I think it is amazing to be able to re-create ancient recipes for make up, perfumes, and body care.

Along with watching that show, I have been frequenting a couple blogs that I have found both very interesting and knowledgeable about DIY cosmetics:

The Gibson Girl's Guide to Glamor
-This blog is all about Victorian and Edwardian beauty and style.  The blog author shares a lot of old recipes, photos and articles (written back in that time).  She also shows you how she makes authentic Victorian inspired cosmetics, created using ingredients and recipes that the ladies of days passed have used.

Crunchy Betty
-This blog is awesome!!  I'm sure that many of you are already aware of its existence, as she has tens of thousands of followers on facebook alone.  I, on the other hand, stumbled upon it just today, and I have read and skimmed through a lot of articles, laughing at her witty commentary, and marvelling at her ideas and suggestions.  She is a fantastic DIY teacher!

A few things I learned recently was that I can make my own face powder out of corn starch!  How awesome is that? :D (Also, arrowroot powder!)

I also made my own body scrub today, with a spicey autumn/winter baked goods scent.  If I find my recipe works out well, I will post it up on the blog very soon.

I want to create more of my own body products.  I need a few more supplies, but I have several essential oil mixtures aging for creating my own perfumes. :D

Are you a fan of doing and making things yourself? If so, what do you like to make (or would love to learn how to make)?

In the future I would love to make my own soaps!

Take care and have an awesome evening!! :D

-Ashesela

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I love DIY stuff.Hubs is all about being self reliant, so he often gets all excited and helps me. I am always looking for ideas....heading to check out these blogs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jenna: That is awesome!! :D I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your scrub works! I'd love to get into making my own skin care products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very cool! Having mighty sensitive skin, I've experimented numerous times over the years with making beauty products (make-up, skin care, hair care, etc) at home in an attempt to whip up versions that were easier for my picky skin to handle. Some experiments have gone better than others (I think a recipe I found online for making hair setting lotion from flaxseeds remains my biggest success to date), but I've enjoyed the process involved with each for sure and really look forward to checking out all of the links you share here (thank you!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I need to start making my own products, I used to do that a lot!

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! The Victorian Pharmacy thing sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. Can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Crystal: I hope it does too! :D Oh, you so should!!! :D

    @ Jessica Cangiano: Thank you so much, Jessica! :D Ooh, a flax hair setting lotion? That sounds awesome! :D

    @ OPI Addict: That's awesome!! :D What did you like to make?

    @ Sarah Lynn: Thank you so much!! :D I hope that you enjoy the show! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh thanks for sharing! DIY projects are always fun! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D