Swaplifting Witch Hunt

Wednesday, March 20, 2013


Good afternoon, dear readers.

I have a serious topic to talk about today.  It turns out that one of my friends has been accused of ‘swaplifting’.  She has been a close friend of mine, and I know that she would never do such a thing.  Several people including myself have swapped with her over the past couple years, and we have never had any problems.  She is an honest and kind person, and as I said before, she would never even think about doing something like swaplifting.

She was in several Facebook groups, and a group of people who shall remain nameless have banded together and have bullied her.  This is unacceptable.  Bullying is weak.  Seriously weak.  Grouping together and trying to make someone feel bad about themself is a horrible thing to do, and those people should be ashamed of themselves.  What is this, a witch hunt?

There are some really wonderful people in this community that I am so happy and honored to be a part of.  Unfortunately, there are also some bad apples, which can happen anywhere you go.
Calling someone a swaplifter without trying to fix the situation or hearing the other person’s side of things is wrong. 

As we all know, the post can be extremely unreliable.  Things get lost, things get confiscated.  Some things just take a long time to reach their destination.  But these people disregard the fact that this happens, and instead decide to bully someone.

We all need to be more understanding of one another.  Especially if the person in question does what she can to rectify the situation.  But did those bullies care about her offers to send back the items and send refunds?  No.  They chose to continue harassing her.

For all we know, the people who are calling her a swaplifter could be lying.  It happens.  But has anyone questioned their motives?  No.

Please, please, PLEASE be more understanding of people and their situations.  Shit happens.  But to continually harass someone is wrong.

My friend just left the groups she was in because she figured if she stayed and defended herself, things would get a lot worse.  I have seen a lot of useless drama happen in this community, and I really don’t blame her for not wanting to be a part of that. 

However, she shouldn’t have been made to be in that position. 

All I ask is that people have more understanding, and that they hear both sides of a story before jumping in and accusing someone.  Not only did these people accuse her of something she would never do, they picked apart her posts and rudely said that she was fishing for pity and lying because of her tough circumstances in life.  I know her, and I also know that she has had a lot to deal with.  To disregard her posts and be so rude to her when she only wanted people that she could talk with and befriend, is horrible.

To those of you who do not bully, thank you from the bottom of my heart.  To those who do, you should be so ashamed of yourselves.

-Ashesela

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. That's awful, I don't think its fair at all.
    I had a swap with someone before and the package never got to them, and I sent it out. She harassed me and got super angry at me and threatened me.. but I just shipped her stuff back.
    It's not fair that people assume the worst of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats lame. Some people are total jerks. Something similar happened to me, I wasn't called names or bullied but I had a bad case of depression over the holidays and fell out of a holiday gift exchange. One of the people in charge of it sent me a very hateful letter without even inquiring as to why I hadn't even been involved in the group or anything, and when I tried to explain to her what had happened and that I'd like to fix things, she didn't even repsond AND she's kicked me out of the group in my absence as well. Some people are just serious assholes, you can't do anything about it. I hope she feels better...just tell her that the only persons opinion that matters in life is her own. She knows the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nailtopia: I so agree, it really isn't fair at all. I am so sorry that you had to deal with someone like that :(

    @ Gnarly Gnails: I am so sorry that you had to deal with all that crap. I wish people could be more understanding and rational. I really hate it when people are nasty for no good reason >:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nailtopia and Gnarly Gnails: I really appreciate you both commenting and showing people how widespread this type of bad behaviour is. I hope that more people become aware of this problem and do what they can to prevent it from ocurring. No H8 all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Ash! There is no need to bring personal drama, let alone threats and bullying, into swaps or polish groups. If someone has a good reputation and people willing to vouch for them as swapping partners, that is more than enough for me. You should always give someone the benefit of the doubt. Like you said, shit happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Interesting post. It seems that facebook is where the drama starts, almost every time I have heard of any. That is where bullies group together. Bullies have bad self esteem and express their frustration by bullying others. They act like babies. Your friend took the right approach by turning her back on the group. If she doesn't play, they can't win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! You've got a great blog here and I'm your follower. I'd love it so much if you could follow me back :) it'd be great to keep in touch!
    <3

    http://tanyasoyer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Chelsea: Thank you so much for your reply, Chelsea!! I am so glad that there are more understanding people out there :D

    @ lovenailpolish: Thank you very much for your comment! It seems that a lot of times in these situations that defending oneself adds fuel to the fire, which is very sad :( I really wish that those bullies would grow up and realise that what they are doing is really horrible!

    @ Tanya Soyer: Thank you very much! :D I am following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your friend. It really saddens me when I hear about these kinds of situations and any kind of bullying. It's sickening how people can be so cruel!! I'm so glad there are kind people like you and so many others in this community who really support one another! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D