Content

Thursday, 26 April 2012

Mystique Nail Appliques Review (Picture Heavy)

Good morning, dear readers.

Today I have a review of Mystique nail appliques.

I was contacted by them and asked if I would like to review their product, so of course I said yes!  ^-^  What these are, are beautifully printed nail stickers.  I was a little nervous at first to try them, as I had tried a similar product before, but with not so good results (part of that was my fault).

When I got these in the mail, I was happily surprised by three things: the adorable design that was chosen for me (YAY PURPLE!! XD), the thinness of the appliques, and how many were on the sheet.

As you can see, they include appliques for full nail coverage, as well as french manicures.


(This pattern is Plum Lovin' Crock XD) (Edit: they look a bit all over the place here, but that is because I already used some and stuck the extra bits haphazardly back onto the plastic).

So here is what you do (this is from the back of the package):

1. Clean all dirt, oil and debris off nail bed.
2. Measure the width of the nail bed by placing applique sheet next to or over the nail-visually select the correct size.
3. Peel the applique off the sheet making sure not to get any dirt or oils on the underside of the applique.
4. Place the applique as close to the cuticle as possible.
5. Use your thumbs to gently smooth the applique starting from the cuticle moving toward the free edge.
6. Use the rubber tip of a (it says 'the' but it didn't come with one, so I changed that word to 'a') cuticle pusher to smooth the edges and eliminate any wrinkles.
7. Gently stretch the material over the free edge of the nail and then downward to seal the end of each nail.
8. Take a small pair of scissors, cut off the excess applique and place it back on the liner sheet for further use.  This will allow you to get a minimum of two sets of nails from one sheet.
9. Use any type of nail file- in a downward motion only.  Don't go up and down, it will create fraying of the applique.
10. Continue to file the free edge in order to get a nice clean edge.
11. Take the rest of your sheet and place it back in the re-usable envelope to ensure the remainder of your product will be protected.

Note: Mystique Nail Applique's can be finished with a get topcoat* as well as nail bling accents if desired.
*When applying a gel over full-cover appliques, you should gently buff the applique first before proper gel procedures.

WHEW!  That was a lot of typing!

So... what I did is I stuck all the stickers on (super easy!!  They are so nicely thin and they stretch, which makes minimal lumpy crinkle edges) without trimming the tops.  I kinda put some of them a little bit on my cuticle (whoopsie!), but to be honest this didn't hinder the performance of these.  Pretty cool! :D

I tugged the sticker and pulled it under the free edge of the nail, then filed downwards with my glass nail file.

I wanted to test the performance with and without topcoat, so on my ring and pinky nail I gently filed the applique a bit to give the top coat something to adhere to.  On the middle nail I just applied a top coat, without filing.  On the thumb and pointer, I added no topcoat.

Now, I don't have any gel topcoats, so I used China Glaze Fast Forward top coat.

Here is what my nails looked like right after application:








Okay, how cute is that design??! XD  There is like a crocodile gradient!

Anyhoo!

As you can see, there are minimal bumps and lumps, and from the side nail shots you can also see how thin these are.  This isn't the perfect application (as this is the second time I have worn nail appliques!) so despite that, they look pretty good! :D

Now for the next day:





As you can see, there is a decent amount of tip wear on most of the nails.  There is also more buckling of the edges and dents and scuffs on the appliques.  I think that a lot of this could be avoided (to a good degree, anyhow) with the proper gel topcoat (and a better application!).  I also was not gentle with my nails: washing hands a lot, washing dishes, scrubbing my hair in the shower, etc.., so these look pretty darn good considering that! :)

I removed them as I was getting antsy about having the same thing on my nails for so long, but I am sure they would have stayed on quite a deal longer if I had left them alone.

When I removed them, they came off quite easily and left minimal glue on the nail.

So all in all, I am quite pleased with these appliques, and am happy to have had the opportunity to test them out.  I'm glad I still have more left for another manicure.  ;)

Here is a link to their website, where they have over 100 styles available.  If anything, it's worth checking out to see the neat patterns they have.  :D

Take care everyone, and I hope you enjoyed this review! :D

-Ashesela

(Edit: I forgot to mention that the unprotected tips of these have some adhesive where the sticker was filed off, so if they aren't covered in top coat little fuzzies can stick to them.  They pull off easily, so it wasn't too big of a deal. :D)

16 comments:

  1. @ Julie: Thank you!! :D I really like the design on these ones! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the design, and they seem easy to apply. Would be great for a night out or a weekend trip where you don't want to worry about changing/fixing nail polish. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your information about the appliques that you received from us. You actually did a very nice job of applying them (care for a job?) We look forward to working with all who are interested in Mystique. Take care to each of you - Mystique customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They seemed really easy to apply. The design is very pretty.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are pretty! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look nice. Do you think they would be big enough for longer nails?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I haven't tried anything like this myself although I do have a set of nail foils to try sometime soon. There's another award on my blog for you by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Kaki: They really are a cinch to apply!! I was very impressed! :D

    @ Mystique Nails: Hahah!! Thank you! I really appreciate the opportunity! :D

    @ Paulina: Thank you so much!! :D I was very impressed with how easy they were put on!

    @ Lindsey R: Thank you very much!! :D

    @ Cuti-CLUE-les: Definitely! I used about half or less of each sticker per nail. :D

    @ Laura: :’D Thank you soooo much!! I really appreciate that! :’D

    @ Polish and Charms: Thank you!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh This is pretty! I like that it applied well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Lizzy O: Thank you!! :D Me too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pattern on these! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these look pretty cool! definitely love the design!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ My Nail Polish Online: I'm glad you like these!! :D

    @ drinkcitra: Me too!!! :D

    @ Jennius: I'm so glad they are purple!! XD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Lovely Readers

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Google+ Followers


Use code 'art evolve' for 10% off of your KKCenterHk order!

About Me

My Photo

Heyo!  I am the writer behind Art Evolve, a blog about things and stuff, that I update sometimes.  >:D

I have a serious love for books, gaming, and general sci-fi and fantasy things.

I also love music and art, and hope to become a better musician and artist as time goes on.

I just started playing Magic: The Gathering again after a looooong break (11 years!?!), and it is awesome.  I hope to become a better Magic player too, because I'm not that great at it heheheh.

I was introduced to edh last (I think?) month, and it has quickly become a favourite format.

OH!  I also do MTG altered art, which I recently started and it is seriously fun and rewarding.  Magic + art practice?  Aw yeah!! :D

What else, what else...  I like video games, and play on both PC and console (PS!!).  I love rpg's and some good shooters, and killing zombies is a plus.

I love chocolate, tea and coffee.  I smoke cigarettes, which is stupid, so don't ever smoke cigarettes because it is stupid.

I also really like food.  Too much so.  Especially crunchy things!  I seriously need to get some bubble tea because it has been way too long.

I love to study but my ADHD makes it a bit difficult (a lot difficult, because remembering things can be kinda rediculous).  I also have obsessive compulsive disorder which sucks.  And anxiety disorders, which suck.

Favourite subjects include: astronomy, nihongo, art, geology, stuff like that.

HAVE AT YOU, KNAVE!  *slaps*
Created by: twitter website widget

Fish

Gnome!

Gnome!
(not my image)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts